Monday, October 21, 2013

Ch 5


A shot from the final tech rehearsal of BCTC's production of "A FEW GOOD MEN".


There are four "primary" staging alternatives in modern theatre

They are:

 

1) Prosecenium- Most common format- the auddience sits on one side facing the stage, and the proscenium "arch" frames the action (also sometimes know as the "picture frame stage".

 

2) Thrust- A more "actor-centered" space- audience is on three sides (also called 3/4 staging) . In most cases , there are "no bad seats" in the house.

 

3) Arena- also known as "theatre in the round" , as the audience surrounds the action on all four sides. Most traditional scenery must be dispensed with.

 

4) Black Box- a very flexible space, where the seating is mobile and can be configured in a variety of format. Most often, these are smaller, more intimate spaces.

 

AREAS OF DESIGN-

 

SCENERY

 

Generally, the first area of design we think of (and usually the most expensive), yet it is a relatively new area of design. The first great period of scenic design didn't come until theatre moved into indoor, artificially illuminated spaces. This allowed designers to create more realistic illusions and extravagant visual effects.

 

Two broad categories of "sets"-

 

1) Realistic - generally known as the "box set"- it looks like whatever it is supposed to represent.

 

2) Metaphoric / abstract- tends to be more conceptual / less literal. These are sometimes refer ed to as "unit sets", in that they are usually a series of different leveled platforms that can be used to simulate a variety of locations.

SCENIC MATERIALS;

 

3 Traditional Media (materials) of scenic design are:

 

1) wood

 

2) paint

 

3) canvas

 

With these, we build the three "building blocks" of scenic design:

 

1) FLATS- wooden frames covered in canvas or some hard surface (like Masonite) which are used to indicate walls, windows and doorways.

 

2) PLATFORMS- Serves the all important function of creating levels for the actors to work on.

 

3) DRAPERY- Used to neutralize the space ( hide the backstage area, mask the lighting and electrical equipment, and sometimes they are used to create entrances and exits.

 

LIGHTING:

 

Lighting, while a crucial area of design, is an even newer area than scenic design. For it wasn't until the advent of gaslight (mid 19th century) that we began to see this area of design come into it's own. What gaslight allowed was the ability to control the "intensity" of the light (how dim or bright it was). This opened up whole new worlds in theatrical design, which were taken even further with the advent of the electric light.

 

FIVE CONTROLLABLE QUALITIES OF LIGHT:

 

These are the "tools" that allow lighting designers to do their work. These are the five elements of light that we are able to control, thus the ability to create a lighting design.

 

1) Intensity

 

2) Color- we do this by using thin sheets of plastic called "gels" which are placed over the front of the lighting instrument, thus changing the hue of the light.

 

3) Shape- certain instruments have "shutters" on the sides which allow us to change the actual shape of the shaft of light.

 

4) Direction- We can aim the light in any area we choose.

 

5) Movement- certain instruments (like the Follow spot) are meant to be "mobile", or used in motion.

 

The three primary functions of lighting design:

 

1) VISIBILITY- FIRST AND FOREMOST. The most important aspect of lighting design. For if it can't be "seen", then what good is it?

 

2) PLAUSIBILITY- Making sense of the surroundings. If the show takes place outdoors, on a pier, in the late evening, then the lighting design needs to simulate that environment.

 

3) COMPOSITION- The lighting design often times "ties together" all the other elements of design, thus making them come to life.

 

COSTUMES:

 

Modern costuming came into it's own in the late 18th / early 19th century, when the desire for realism took hold in the world of Theatre. Before that, most costumes were little more than "dressing up".

 

4 primary functions of costuming:

 

1) Ceremonial "magic" - In keeping with the ancient traditions from which Theatre sprang.

 

2) Illuminate the "world of the play" / establish time and place

 

3) Express individuality of character/ "status" (Is this a King or a servant?)

 

4) "Wear-ability"- needs to be functional for the actor. Just because it looks pretty, it may not be right for the actor or the demands of the scene.

 

* You will not be responsible for MAKEUP design.

 

 

QUESTION- Which area of design do you feel is most essential to your personal enjoyment of a play?

18 comments:

Courtney Asher said...

The most important for me would be the costumes. A play or a certain scenario can be convincing without a huge set. For me, if the costumes donit fit everything else about the production, it's not believable.

Paige Embs said...

Costumes are the most essential area of design to my personal enjoyment of a play. One thing that I always notice, not just in plays but in everyday life, is clothes. The right costumes allow me to better distinguish between different characters. For example, if a play had a king and a servant, their costumes should be very different. If they both wore the same clothes it just wouldn't fit.

Leslie Pitts said...

The most essential area of design to my personal enjoyment of a play is the scenery. I am always amazed to see how quickly the stage transforms. One scene is a home design with a full lay out from a kitchen with a counter top, sink, cabinets, window and a table with the family eating breakfast to a hallway leading to the upset teenager sulking alone in his bedroom that is decorated with posters on a wall, his single bed already made for the day, his dresser is decked with trophies he has earned over the years from various organized sports and his desk top over flowing with school papers. The next scene moments later is an elaborate city block of a corner store where a few of the neighbors in the adjoining apartments are in the windows chatting with the by passers. The detail of the corner store with the cashier ringing up customers with groceries, customers shopping in the aisles with stocked shelves, the extra buggies available for additional customers, and the sale ad’s written on the store glass window. I can go on and on about the detail in the scenery I have witnessed on the numerous plays I have seen. The quick change between scenes and amount of detail to me is the most essential area in a play and brings me the most enjoyment as well as reinforces the believability factor.

Unknown said...

For me, the area of design that is most essential to my personal enjoyment of a play would have to be the scenery. I probably pay more attention to the scenery than I do with costumes and lighting. This is because when I find that the scenery is really detailed it makes me for like I am more part of the play and in that scene.

Kayla Burger said...

For me I would have to say scenery is the biggest essential for my personal enjoyment of the play! I mean think about it if the scenery if boring and has no colors or details or anything that has to do with what is going on in the play it gets pretty boring. It is always interesting to see how the scenery changes throughout the play as well, it keeps your attention and keeps you interested in whats going on or what it might change to next!!

Justin Hester said...

I find the scenery to be what really maximizes my enjoyment. It adds depth to the acting by helping to draw the audience into the play world. To be able to add the visual effects of a storyline along with the actors' portrayals enhances the whole theatre experience for me. In general, I can get bored pretty easily so the changing scenery helps keep my attention and it also helps me to "get into" the play.

Taylor Houchens said...

Costumes or scenery are most essential to my personal enjoyment of a play. Without costumes and scenery, it's difficult to understand the story line. Costumes establish time and place, express individuality of a character, and keeps the traditions from which Theatre sprang. Scenery also sets time and place and gives us a "picture" of what we would see in our minds, were we to close our eyes and listen to the characters.

Chesi spriggs said...

I truly believe that the costumes are the most important because if the actors are in character really strong they create the scene with just there dialogue and motions without the use of actual scenery, and lighting to me is just something to add to a show and not actually a necessity.

Ashley Mckinney said...

The most essential area of design for my personal enjoyment of a play would have to be costumes. While watching plays I pay more attention to the characters and how they are dressed. I get a feel for what type of person the character is or the individuality they are portraying by their costumes.

Margaret McCauley said...

The most important or most essential area of design for my personal enjoyment would be a toss up between costumes and scenery. To me both of them have to be accurate to the play because it is easier for me to feel as if I was actually there. I would expect that the costumes match the character and the scene. To me without either one of them it would be hard to get the full story plot of the performance.

Terrance Lee said...

I think the most important area of design is the costumes because they are the most immersing thing on the stage next to the scenery, but the costumes are more so because the audience for the most part are mainly looking at the costumes before anything else. Even in games at cosplay events everyone loves finding a good costume of their favorite character and dressing up as them and designing a custom costume to become that character and the better the costume the more immersed you are in that part and i believe its the same for the audience. I would argue that one most look at the costume design more then anything else on the stage because every character most have one and you most see it the entire time they are on stage scenery and other props can be substituted, imitated through action, or even imagined (ex in zombietowmn an actor used his fingers for a gun and a sound effect for the shots in the play)but it wouldnt be fitting to have a king with no crown, a judge with no veal or gavel, a lawyer without a suit. Therefore i do believe costumes are the most important.

Deneisha Osborne said...

Due to being a photographer, I'm all about light, the lighting of as person or object is what makes a good image, a poor image or s speculator image, so for me the most important element of design would be lighting. Proper lighting of a stage or prop will enhance its over all richness and depth.

Unknown said...

The most essential area of design would have to be the costumes. I feel as if the costumes makes the play more real in my perspective. I also feel that the costumes help identify the character in the play.

Jessica Fritz said...

I feel the most important piece of a play for my enjoyment is the scenery. It helps me to better understand what the theme of the play is and what is going on. I like to feel like I am actually part of the play and I believe the scenery helps the most with that!

Unknown said...

The most important part to me would be the costumes. This really helps me visually set up in my mind who this person is and kind of what they will act like and talk. It really helps me with getting pulled into a play and enjoying it truly.

Unknown said...

The most important part to me would be the costumes. This really helps me visually set up in my mind who this person is and kind of what they will act like and talk. It really helps me with getting pulled into a play and enjoying it truly.

Unknown said...

MY favorite parts would be the scenery and COSTUMES! Costumes are essentially important for me in a play because it really brings together the character, and gives you a better picture of the of the play as a whole. Scenery puts the play together and makes it really enjoyable to watch.

Unknown said...

For me costumes are the most important. I think that the more extreme or the more detailed the costume is, makes the play seem much more realistic and helps you to visualize what they are trying to portray. If the costumes are not right, I feel that it does not make it seem very real.