Monday, November 25, 2013

CH 10

LCT's production of WITNESS.
Global Theatre Today

"Theatre is a business, as well as an art..."

OPEN theatre- Theatre audiences and practitioners have opted for an "open" theatre- open for a wide range of cultures and individuals than any other time in history. This open theatre hopes to "mirror"  the hopes and concerns of all human nature- women, as well as men, gays and straights, Asian, African Americans, Native Americans, etc..

A Diverse Theatre-

Women, who have been traditionally underrepresented throughout history, now comprise a major force in the Theatre. Since the 1980s, seven female playwrights have won the Pulitzer and 4 have been honored with MacArthur "Genius" awards. Women directors, once a rarity, now represent at least 1/3 of the nations total field, and a number are Artistic Directors of Theatres as well.

Racial diversity shows similar development. Since the 1960s, many Black writers have broken through the Theatre's color barrier (beginning with Lorraine Hansberry's famous " A Raisin in the Sun") , and that exploded in the 1980s with the emergence of August Wilson's plays (and his ten play cycle) and other writers, directors and actors have followed.
We've also seen the emergence of Latino theatre (often distinguished by it's language and ethnic roots) , as well as Asian American theatre (it's big leap forward was David Henry Hwang's "M. Butterfly", which received a Tony and a Pulitzer) and Native Amercian theatre is also flourishing, particularly in the Western US.

"A Theatre of Difference"
Sexual preference has emerged as a defining issue in today's theatre as well. As recently as the late 1950s, the representation of homosexuality was illegal in England, and widely suppressed in America, but dramatic changes occurred in the 1960s (spurred on by Matt Crowley's comedy "The Boys in the Band") to where gay themed plays have now clearly entered the mainstream (not only in theatre, but film and TV as well).


Nontraditional Casting-

Colorblind casting (casting someone in a role regardless of their ethnicity) and gender bending (casting males/females in different gender roles) was once thought of as a daring practice, but is now somewhat commonplace. Though some directors still bristle at the idea of casting someone outside of their "traditional" role, many realize that audiences today are savvy enough to be able to suspend their disbelief beyond such things.

WHERE IT'S HAPPENING (in America)

Different types of theatre include-
BROADWAY- the top of the heap (located in a few blocks of Times Square, in NYC)  for commercial theatre in America, though not ALWAYS the best. Example-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4aFn1DxGE
Many times that is reserved for...
REGIONAL THEATRES- professional theatres that are NOT based in New York City, but located in many large cities and smaller towns throughout the US. Every state in the union has at least ONE professional, regional theatre. This is often where the most artistic, daring theatre takes place.
Example- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3rZ5Uv__8
OUTDOOR DRAMA/ HISTORICAL DRAMA- Primarily seasonal theatres that (mainly) use outdoor stages and tell a tale of some historical significance to their region (example- the Stephen Foster Story in Western, KY and "Techumsah!" in central Ohio.) These theatres are usually great training grounds for young actors, as they generally are very intense, short rehearsal processes followed by a 14-16 week run. Alas, they are somewhat going the way of the dinosaur... Example- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M249oOza4Dg
SHAKESPEARE FESTIVALS- Also (generally) seasonal theatres, some of which are indoor-some outdoors. These theatres focus PREDOMINANTLY on the work of the Bard, but mix in other materials occasionally (such as musicals, or a swashbuckling adventure like "3 Musketeers"). 48 of the 50 states in the US have at least one official Shakes Fest. Example- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcB8sV0ADI
COMMUNITY THEATRE- In many ways the backbone of American theatre. Predominantly volunteer organizations that create for the love of the art and (for many) give future theatre professionals their first taste of what a life in the theatre is like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39KtgAntHU     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39KtgAntHU
COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY THEATRE- Nearly every major, mid-sized or small college/university has SOME type of theatre training program. This is the primary training arm for theatre professionals in the US. Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIpG4Tovjs


QUESTION- Have you been to any of the above types of theatres in the US (*With the exception of college/ University) ? If so, describe the experience - if NOT, which one would you LIKE to see and why? TWO PARAGRAPHS PLEASE!!!

16 comments:

Kayla Burger said...

I would absolutely love to see a Broadway it is most definitely on my bucket list. I just think this would be a great experience and it would be like nothing you’ve ever seen before. I know that you mentioned in the blog they aren’t always the best, but from someone who hasn’t really been a big fan of plays or just hasn’t seen many I think this would be a great experience!

I have some relatives that have actually been to a Broadway and they said that it was phenomenal and they would recommend everyone to see one even if you aren’t into theatre. Another reason I think I would enjoy seeing a Broadway performance is because when I went to the play just here in Lexington the way the actors acted and how well the play moved along it kept my attention the whole time. Those are just everyday people who don’t necessarily do it for a living they were just doing it maybe for school or because they enjoy it. I can just only imagine how good Broadway performers are and how into the play they get, because they aren’t only doing it because they enjoy it but also because it is most of their livings as well! I just think it would be awesome I can’t express that enough!

Taylor Houchens said...

I have seen both Wicked and Chicago at the Procter and Gamble Hall-Aronoff Center for the Arts. They were both wonderful experiences and I enjoyed every minute. Obviously, these are both musicals, which are my favorite type of performances, but other than them being music based, I was very impressed by the staging, lighting, acting, story line, etc...

Although I have been to this theatre, I unfortunately haven't gotten the opportunity to experience any other plays outside of my high school and college. I would love to see a Broadway performance. A friend of mine has been to a couple of Broadway performances in New York and she said it's her absolute favorite.

Paige Embs said...

I have seen The Lion King on Broadway in New York City. It was by far the best live production I have ever seen! The way that the actors portrayed the animal characters was like nothing I've ever seen before. It amazed me how well their costumes were designed, I know it had to take forever to make them, especially the animal ones!
Every member in the audience seemed to be engaged. I didn't here a phone go off throughout the whole play and everyone was appropriate and respectful. They were also very strict. Every play I've been to forbid photography, however, Broadway was even more strict! If caught taking pictures, you would be asked to leave. At one point before the play began, a woman had her phone out like she was going to take a picture and got swarmed by the staff doing the seating! It was a wonderful experience, and I'm not usually a "play-goer" but I would recommend to anyone who goes to New York to see a play on Broadway!

Justin Hester said...

I saw Spamalot on Broadway. It was a great experience because it draws people from all walks of life. There were limousines delivering people, there were taxis delivering people, and then there were people who had ridden the subway to get there.
Seeing a Broadway play is considered the ultimate theatre experience and it is because of all the expertise that goes along with it. To be associated with Broadway you have to excel at whatever you do, be it acting, directing, etc. The plays here have a huge budget and the costumes and the scenery reflect this. The atmosphere is different because it has such a formal setting and the audience appears to be more reserved. Anyone who is a big fan of theatre should see a play on Broadway. The experience is worth the high ticket price.

Unknown said...

When I was younger we would go watch the same historical play every year! It was a civiil war reenactment and they used a field at Cardome in Georgetown. They told the story of the actual civil war itself and I remember it taught me a lot and I always enjoyed it. I usually do not like any historical plays, but this one was different. Since they audience sat along the field that the "war" was taking place in, you felt like you were a part of the play.

I also saw several plays at a community theatre when I was younger. My uncle was actually an actor in one of the plays I went to. It was called Oklahoma. I don't remember much about the plot, but even though I was a lot younger I still really enjoyed it.

Leslie Pitts said...

I have never had the opportunity to see a live Broadway Play. I have seen “Broadway plays” at our local Opera House and love every moment of it. While I sit there and watch the performance, taking in the music, costumes, dialogue, props and lighting, I find myself wondering how more exciting it would be to see in performed on Broadway.
You always hear there is nothing like seeing a Broadway Play. Based on the incredible plays I have seen at the Opera house I can only imagine those and multiply by 100. Taking the venue itself is larger, giving way for a much larger stage and props. I love the music portions of the plays and the acoustics must be incredible to hear. I look forward to the day my husband and I get to see our first Broadway Play.

Margaret McCauley said...

I myself have been to a Broadway play. I attended the play Wicked in 2011 on my Senior Trip to New York City during my spring break. The actual trip awful. However, the Broadway play Wicked I absolutely loved. I didn't know much about it going into the performance. It did not take me long to figure out what it was about either.

The people that actually attended this performance was amazing, this place was packed like a UK vs Louisville basketball game! I loved this performance. The acting, the music, the stage scenes, the whole thing. I would defiantly return to see one there given the opportunity. I have seen wicked performed on a community level and must I say it sucked just because I have seen it in Broadway totally different. At the community level it was more just singing than acting the same stage scene was set the whole time and costumes didn't make since. But Broadway plays is I guess how I see them in my head when I am reading a script and not on any other level but college/university plays do keep my attention and keep me entertained as well.

Terrance Lee said...

I would love to go to the Broadway show. They are the heart and life line of thearte and notorious for well know plays and some of the best performances ever. Broadway at the peak of theatrical performances is know as the bread and butter of performances so i would want the best of the best. I have never been to any other performance like this of this nature but if i was going to go i would want to see the best.

I still would hope that the performance i saw was not going to be a musical because i want to see a performance that is immersing to me. And when people perform i enjoy great acting not great singing, i have my own songs i like to enjoy so i feel like you have to like that genre to enjoy the entire show

Unknown said...

I would love to see a broadway show. The shows look like they are full of excitement and energy. I would like to have the experience of watching a broadway show in New York. My sister once attended and said the experience was like no other.

If i am unable to attend a broadway i would like to attend a Shakespeare festival. I think the drama aspect would be great to watch and to have either the indoor/outdoor experience i think that would be interesting. Either broadway or shakespeare would be on my bucket list to attend. Both types of theatres seem exciting.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the Lion King in Cincinnati, Ohio at the Aronoff Center for the Arts. It was amazing! It was a musical, which is my favorite type of play. Everything about the show was impressive. The scenery was amazing as well as the acting and the singing. This is as close as I have gotten to experiencing a play outside my high school or college
I would really like to go New York to see a play on Broadway. I would love to see The Sound of Music or Wicked!

Courtney Asher said...

I have been to one Broadway production. It was several years ago during a grade school trip to New York. We saw Beauty and the Beast. It was the first time I had been to a professional production of any type. It was definitely a good experience.
Growing up loving Disney, I wasn't disappointed. I remember one scene in particular. The part where all the guys in the tavern or whatever sing about Gaston. I would definitely recommend seeing it.

Unknown said...

I have seen one Broadway play and that was my junior year in high school, and I saw Phantom of the Opera. It was such a fun experience to actually go to Broadway because a lot of people do not get that opportunity very often and I felt very lucky to get to have that experience.

As far as the show goes it was absolutely amazing. Even being in the very top and the very last row, you could still feel what the actors were trying to portray, and still able to see all of the stage, which is one of the most important aspects for me so that I can really take in all of the play or musical. I remember that the props were incredible and of course the talent that the actors had was absolutely amazing. It was everything that I imagined it would be and more.

Unknown said...

I have never actually go to see a Broadway show. But I will! I think that getting to see a play would be fantastic and I'm sure in New York that it would not be anything less than big and perfect. also others say it is very good and a must do.

Unknown said...

I have never seen a Broadway production, but I would absolutely love to one day soon! New York to me just screams theater. Just the history in itself is truly inspiring. I was in New York a few years ago and just going past there lights me up.
I almost get a little jealous when I hear people talk about going there and seeing a show there. I have not yet met one person that was disappointed with their Broadway experience.

Ashley Mckinney said...

I have not been to any of these types of theaters except the college or university. I would love to go to an outdoor or historical drama. This type stands out to me so much more than the others. I am a very outdoorsy person and love experiencing things while surrounded my nature. I feel like an outdoor drama would give you such a better “feel” for the play and what is truly going on.
If the play had any type of battle whether is just a small fight or a war, having these on an outdoor stage would be so much more appropriate and possibly safer for the actors as well as the audience. I also like the idea of going to one of these outdoor plays at night, I think the lighting and sound would be better outdoors at night.

Unknown said...

Transactions and how they work – when communication flows easily, when it stops abruptly, when it turns nasty and how to get it back on track.

Ta 101 Training